The staff and governors of Herringthorpe Junior School aim to address all areas of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities through a whole school/ academy approach. Our ethos is one of collaboration between senior leaders, teachers, support staff, parents, agencies and most importantly, the child, to create a wholly inclusive school. Through our position statement and a flexible approach to differentiated learning and valuing the achievements of all, we aim to develop children’s strengths, address needs and create an enabling and safe setting for all pupils to reach their individual potential, ensuring we do not place a ceiling on the learning opportunities for the pupils we teach.
Overall, we aim to support all children to reach their potential in a caring and cooperative atmosphere by:
● identifying needs at an early stage and mapping provision of individuals carefully to track progress
● providing a broad and balanced curriculum through Quality First Teaching
● developing understanding of purpose and relevance of learning
● raising self esteem through appropriate challenge and scaffolding
● providing a secure and safe environment to enable children to flourish
● developing provision for nurture to support SEMH needs